Funnel Cake recipe
- 4 Granny Smith apples—peeled, cored, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease the bottom and side of an 8-inch springform pan.
- In a large bowl, toss the apples with the lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of the sugar and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the flour with the cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the eggs with the almond extract and the remaining 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar at medium-high speed until thick and pale yellow and a ribbon forms when the beaters are lifted, 8 to 10 minutes. Gently fold in the dry ingredients just until incorporated.
- Spread the apples in the prepared pan in an even layer, then pour the batter evenly over them. Let stand for 5 minutes to allow the batter to sink in a little.
- Bake the sharlotka for about 1 hour, until it is golden and crisp on top and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a rack and let rest for 15 minutes. Unmold and transfer to a serving platter. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve warm.
The sharlotka can be made up to 4 hours ahead.
On – 23 May, 2017 By Matt Danko